Thursday, June 6, 2013

R.O.T.O.R.

Ugh.  This movie.  I'm at a loss for words.  "R.O.T.O.R." is an Ed Wood level shit-show.  This is a movie that I watched because I saw it on redlettermedia.com. (You should really click that link and watch EVERYTHING those guys make.)  I said, "Hey! I have that same movie in that same bargain bin boxset.  I should watch it too!"  This was a mistake/blessing. 
 
"R.O.T.O.R." is an amazing piece of inept filmmaking.  If you like watching train wrecks, this is just right for you.  I wish I had watched this with someone.  Because instead of being able to talk out the bizarre choices made in order to bring this story to life, I was left staring at my TV with an expression that I'm sure was nearly as dumb as this movie.
 
One of the troubling things is that the poster is FUCKING BADASS!  Just look at it.  That is so cool.  However, that supremely radical poster reflects nothing in this movie.  It's heartbreaking.  Instead, I watched an angry Texan be angry for an hour and a half.
 
So what is "R.O.T.O.R.?"  "R.O.T.O.R." is the tale of an angry Texas police scientist who develops a robot cop that is programmed to kill people who break the law.  When his creation is turned on before it is ready (25 years too early actually), it goes on the hunt for the fiancé of a man he killed for speeding.  Angry Texan must then recruit the help of a bodybuilding lady scientist in order to stop the rampaging robot.
 
This is a movie that is made for viewing with friends and alcohol.  The best bad movies are the ones that try really hard and fail miserably.  "R.O.T.O.R." fails so gloriously that a night watching it is cinematic schadenfreude at its finest.
 
2 out of 10 (but adjusted for entertainment value: 9 out of 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment