Monday, June 10, 2013

Oz: The Great and Powerful


I went to this, not because I wanted to, but because I had to: it's directed by Sam Raimi!  I should be clear here that I am a huge fan of the "Evil Dead" series (this refers only to the Raimi movies and not the recent remake, which I did enjoy).  When I watch the films of Sam Raimi, I'm really watching for moments reminiscent of his early films.
In this way, it may seem that I far from the right kind of person to watch this movie or, at the least, going in with skewed expectations.  What am I going to get out of a PG-rated, Disney reboot/prequel to "The Wizard of Oz?" Is it even reasonable for me to expect to see stylistic similarities between this and "Darkman?" 
I was shocked to discover that OtGaP is the Disney retelling of "Army of Darkness," complete with a graveyard mission gone wrong.  As such, I had a hell of a good time with this movie.

That's not to say this movie didn't have issues.  In fact, it has one big issue: Mr. James Franco.  To be fair to him, he's really good sometimes.  But when he's not, he's really not.  Oddly, his acting is wonderful when he's interacting with the CG characters of the film.  His chemistry with the animated characters helps give them a weight and presence they wouldn't have on their own.  But when he has to act with really people, it's like listening to a tone deaf person sing.  Everything is flat and odd sounding.  He grins constantly as if he thinks that's the secret of being charming, instead of actually being charming.  He is so awkward with the live characters that it becomes painfully obvious how cliché the script is.  He's supposed to be playing a showman and a huckster but he can't sell the emotions necessary to the plot.  It doesn't wreck the movie, but much of the motivations would have felt stronger if he'd have performed as well with humans as he did cartoons.

But there are great performances in OtGaP and they are from the trio of lovely ladies who play the witches.  Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams, and Rachel Weisz all play their roles very large.  Kunis and Weisz are given the opportunity for the most range, with Williams just having to be excessively nice and sweet.  But Kunis starts the movie very much the naïve innocent, gets a few tearful moments, and then goes full blown maniacal.  Weisz starts out as the slimy backstabber and, as the big finale gets closer, becomes more and more over her head.  All the witches are played in almost cartoonish strokes, but they work for this kind of tale.

I never thought OtGaP (I'm loving this acronym) would work.  The idea of a "Wizard of Oz" prequel being made as a family-friendly action film was worrisome to me.  But Raimi and his crew proved me wrong again.  The action in this is wonderful.  The shots are edited in such a way the action is comprehensible and fluid.  No shaky-cam.  No chaos.  Just inventive, easy-to-follow thrills.


And most of these action scenes are chases that serve not just to provide some relief from all the walking, but also showcase the wonderful world of Oz.  The set design is really great.  Oz often resembles a watercolor Dr. Seuss world.  But while he interacts with CG characters well, Franco seems oblivious to the world around him.  I don't think this is his fault.  He was probably told to look around in wonder and the world was just filled in around him.  But it usually results in him not even looking at the thing being showcased.   The opening credits were fun and the Danny Elfman score is pretty good too.

OtGaP gets a pretty strong recommendation from me.  It's especially good for families.  Some kids' movies are so bad they can make an adult practically suicidal.  But no one should be bored or miserable watching this.  There is some pretty scary stuff especially with the flying baboons, but I think that's what kids' movies are lacking.  A sense of real danger adds to the stakes of the story.

8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment