Friday, June 7, 2013

Dinotasia

If you are a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, older sibling, or babysitter, take heed: Do NOT show this to young children!!  I don't care if they love dinosaurs.  I don't care that this is rated PG (how?!). 
 
"Dinotasia" showed up as a recommendation on Netflix.  A dinosaur movie narrated by Werner Herzog?!  How can this be anything other than amazing?  This is how: give the dinosaurs human (or at least dog-like) emotions and then violently murder them (especially the baby dinosaurs). 
 
"But Doug," you say.  "Is it really all that bad?"  Yes.  Yes, it is.  Any wound afflicted doesn't just bleed, they gush blood.  Giant, arching cascades of arterial blood.  As if the Discovery Channel thought that what "Walking With Dinosaurs" lacked was a healthy dose of "Kill Bill."  There are several scenes of dismemberment or beheading, and they all involve the camera lingering on the flailing stump as the dinosaur screams (except the beheaded one) and spews blood everywhere.

I put this on my laptop as a kind of background experience while I cooked dinner.  I thought, "I can learn about dinosaurs and cook at the same time!"  But guess what?  "Dinotasia" lacks any educational value!  We are never told what dinosaurs we are seeing or what behavior they are exhibiting.  These creatures are just there to die (there is even a constant countdown to the death of the dinosaurs).  I became so transfixed by this misguided film that I forgot about dinner.  Misguided, how?  This is not an appropriate movie for kids either in its graphic content or lack of narrative structure.  Nor does it contain much for adults who would probably expect something educational or at least a good story.  I can imagine maybe some teenagers who like anything bloody and excessive maybe getting kick out of this, but that is probably not the filmmaker's intent.

The CGI is terrible too.  Steer clear of this one.

3 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment