Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rapt


I'm here to pick up where I left off a year ago (yikes).  I was getting a ton of site views for a while but they turned out to be bot views or something, mostly from Germany and Russia.  I became so discouraged that I walked away from the blog for awhile, fully intending to pick it up again.  That time has come.

I'm going to restart this whole blog business with "Rapt."  This is a film superficially about a kidnapping, but underneath that is a film about human selfishness.  I watched this on Netflix streaming which had the movie classified as a thriller.  That is a bit misleading.  "Rapt" actually lacks anything "thrilling," relying instead on very personal human drama.  Don't go into this expecting gunfire or chases (expect one kinda chase) or even much in the way of police procedure (but there is a little). 
 
"Rapt" concerns a businessman, Stanislaw Graff, that is kidnapped for ransom and the impact of that upon his family and business associates.  As I said earlier, the real story here is selfishness.  Graff, his family, and the kidnappers are all very focused on their own needs (however, Graff's family's selfishness is often quite justified).
 
I really enjoyed the look of this movie.  The camerawork is clean and crisp.  Even when things go handheld, they never get shaky.  And I often found myself marveling at the beauty of the shots.  It is also expertly paced.  "Rapt" moves quickly to its (awesome) conclusion.
 
Don't miss this movie.  It's the best kidnapping movie I've seen in a long while.
 
8 out of 10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment