Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Leap Year

My girlfriend asked me to watch this with her. I might’ve said no, if not for Amy Adams. This is pretty much your run of the mill, “opposites attract” kind of romantic comedy. Y’know those romantic comedies that are neither romantic nor very funny. I admit I chuckled a couple of times and actually laughed once, but overall I was very stoic throughout the entire running time.


I would love to critique the film making or directing, but it is entirely phoned in. No wait! “Leap Year” is packed with green screen shots of sky or hills that are some of the worst green screen shots I’ve seen in a long time. Those shots were the funniest thing in the film.

As for acting, it’s rom-com acting. Amy Adams plays that same rom-com female character. She is a strong, in control, successful woman with a mediocre relationship and personality “quirks” that would send most men running. Matthew Goode plays that same rom-com male character. He’s easy going and slightly disheveled in a way that is supposed to be sexy and is anti-relationships. Naturally, these two can’t stand each other. So, they spend a lot of time together and through a series of mishaps come to find that they love each other, in spite of each other. (Personally, I’d rather watch two people who are good for each other fall in love, but I’m not a chick so what do I know about romance?)

Between this and “Watchmen,” I’m still waiting for Matthew Goode to impress me in something. I could watch Amy Adams on mute and still be happy. John Lithgow is wasted in this film as Adams’ father. (My girlfriend watched all the deleted scenes and says his role was basically cut from the movie.)

At the end of the day, if your lady likes sappy chick flicks: rent it and just shut up and watch it with her. She’ll appreciate it.

Rating: 6 out of 10 (would’ve been a 5 but for Amy Adams. She‘s an automatic booster.)

No comments:

Post a Comment